Today the Education Secretary outlines new measures to help more people get the skills they need to get ahead which supports the adult skills package as announced by the Prime Minister.
We are aware of an Open Letter published in The Times which claims exams and assessments are not fit for purpose. The Department reformed GCSEs to make them more rigorous and put them on a par with expectations in high …
This evening's Education in the Media blog focusses on the publication of evidence papers by The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) about the plans for a phased return to school from 1 June at the earliest , and a …
Today's blog provides further details on the scientific evidence underpinning our plans for the wider opening of schools.
Today’s blog looks at the package of support the Government is making available to early years settings, following a report from the Early Years Alliance.
Yesterday (Thursday 30 April), Minister for Children and Families Vicky Ford wrote to the Guardian about how the government is making sure vulnerable children are protected during the coronavirus pandemic. Her letter can be read in full below.
Today's blog looks at media reports based on speculation that students who wish to may not be able to sit exams once schools reopen.
Answers to frequently asked questions about schools and other educational settings during the Covid-19 outbreak.
Today's blog looks at media reports based on speculation that schools could reopen after the Easter holidays. Schools reopening predictions in the media Today, Wednesday 8 April, the Department for Education has issued a statement in response to reports that …
Today's blog outlines the launch of a national voucher scheme aimed at children eligible for free school meals while schools are closed due to coronavirus.
Related content and links
About the Education in the media blog
Education in the media is the Department for Education’s blog on the latest topical education and equalities issues. This blog features a review of leading media stories, rebuttal to news stories, as well as Ministerial comment.
Recent blog posts
- Summer activities, tutoring and extra funding for schools – How we’re helping students catch-up 25 February 2021
- What you need to know about grades in 2021 25 February 2021
- Chief Medical Officer: “If you keep children out of school, every single one of the children you keep out of school is disadvantaged” 24 February 2021
- An open letter from Education Secretary Gavin Williamson to parents, carers and guardians 23 February 2021
- All students to return to school and college from 8 March and what you need to know 22 February 2021